Combine the efficiency of a company and the well-being of employees: isn’t it the balance of quality of work life all companies wish? Unfortunately, CEOs don’t seem to consider enough satisfaction of their employees. They forget that a blooming person, satisfied of his work conditions is more productive. A happy employee will make a satisfied client! There’s everything to win at making simple changes to give a global positive impact to the company. Employees have expectations regarding their workplace, Communications or equipment provided by the employer. It’s the company’s responsibility to help them express their needs and answer them. This article will enlighten you on the good practice of quality of work life to help your company become the next Great Place to Work!
What the French think about their quality of work life?
Everyone may consider it differently but the quality of work life is defined and officially ruled. According the National Agency for Improvement of Work Conditions, it expresses through 6 factors:
- Job function and means at disposal
- Physical environment
- Work organization
- Professional realization and development
- Balance between private and professional life
What about the first persons implicated, what do they think? Actineo and Sociovision questioned French employees working in an office, for their annual barometer: 87% consider themselves satisfied of their quality of work life (+7% from 2017) and 24% are very satisfied.
But are they happy? 46% feel stressed, 42% think sometimes that their work lacks of meaning, 32% feel the need to take a break even though they aren’t sick (43% of millennials between 19 and 29). What holds our attention is that 37% think their employer doesn’t care about their well-being at work (among them, 47% work in companies of 1000 employees and more).
We become aware of the link between workspace and health. Almost half of the questioned persons consider layout of offices has a major impact on health and well-being.
Among the questioned workers not satisfied of their work life, 66% consider that their workspace isn’t adapted to their needs.
Where do they prefer work?
– 59% in an individual office closed
– 38% in a collective office of small size
– 31% in an open space with confidential bubbles and meeting rooms nearby in free access
Flex-Office (no designated work station) concerns today a minority of French workers and only 14% would choose first this work mode… 40% could consider it.
Do you recognize you in these figures? Each company should work at make the most peasant possible the relation with managers, offices, everyday life of employees that spend most of their time at work.
How make employees happy at work?
So what are the good practice, what’s realistic to implement? Let’s see first what have been appreciated in others organizations.
Regarding managers, what’s recognized and approved is regular feedbacks between employees and managers, in both ways! At Decathlon, there are informal meetings every week to identify positive and negative aspects. At Davidson Consulting, employees notice their managers about sensitive questions with an application. Just Eat managers spend one hour weekly with each member of their team, in addition of a meeting every 2 months and annual evaluation interviews.
But originals ideas may also make more peasant the everyday life of workers.
– For volunteers, relaxing and sophrology sessions are suggested by professionals at Deloitte.
– EY, still at the top of the Great Place to Work ranking, built a medical center 3.0: the “consult station”. Employees can ask for an online consultation with a general doctor. The process is discrete for the employee and the medical confidentiality is kept quiet.
– At Total, employees are invited to relax and entertain in a photo lab and a library.
Before actions, it’s necessary to create exchange on what goes well, what needs to be improved, it’s important to share social and economic concerns, ask the right questions and give employees the possibility to try and adjust new measures.
You are an actor of your company. What concrete actions can you plan to improve quality of work life?
- Encourage CEOs say hello to all employees every day. Professional recognition is essential and often neglected
- Open a relax space
- Adjust the organization of open spaces with employees so they feel better
- Put fruits at disposal
- Offer “laugh sessions at work” with external organizers
- Draw a marked route through offices to encourage coworkers speak
- Organize a “live my life” between employees for a couple of hours to find out jobs of their co-workers
- Put a “suggestions box”, vote for the best ideas and reward the authors
Here is what can improve quality of work life and create good communication in a company. However, these types of actions are meant to change because young generations who have just started to work have a different vision of work, of its place in their life and they speak it.
And the young, what does it say?
For the generation Y, what concerns quality of work life is first a real balance between professional and personal life. Their priority is also teamwork and tasks sharing.
Generation Z desires innovative projects, an ethical company for a good quality of work life. Most of them would prefer quality of work life to salary.
For both of these generations, conviviality and smile are essential.
Quality of work life is a managerial stake as much as an efficient leverage. Companies have to maintain their efforts in order to improve work conditions of their employees, particularly during digital transformation. Digitalization of a process, of client relations or else, has numerous organizational and human consequences. It’s at this point that dialog has to be maintained to allow each employee adapt to change.